Sunday, August 31, 2008

Flan

I love flan. Flan is your friend. I grew up with the classic filipino flan - creamy and super sweet lecheflan. As my palate expanded, I have tried many other types. I am not a big fan of typical Mexican flan. Its too bland, not creamy at all. However, I was recently introduced to the Columbian-style flan, and it is now tied as my favorite way to eat flan :)

Here is my Auntie Edna's Lecheflan recipe:

8-10 egg yolks, room temp
1 cup sugar
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk (the large cans)
1 tblsp vanilla extract
light caro syrup

Make sure all ingredients are room temp. Carefully stir the ingredients with a wooden spoon. Pour enough caro syrup to coat the bottom of your baking dish. Slowly pour batter into the baking dish, taking care not to form excess bubbles. Tap the dish to get any bubbles out. Place the dish in a water bath and bake at 375 F for an hour or until the flan is golden brown.

Once flan cools in refridgerator (or room temp), take a knife to release the sides. Invert pan and place on a nice flat plate. Pour the remaining syrup on top. Enjoy!!

No comments: