Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Nursing Essentials


I am 9 months into breastfeeding my little one. There are several items I think every nursing mom should own, no matter how long she plans on breastfeeding.

A friend of mine told me the one essential item was a Hooter Hider. Made by Bebe Au Lait, it is a nursing cover that comes in several different prints under the name Hooter Hider and Bebe Au Lait (the fancier prints). Initially, I thought they were kinda expensive - about $35, especially since you can get nursing covers at Target for under $20. But let me tell you, it is well worth it. Here's why I think its worth the extra dough to get a Hooter Hider:


  • The material is lightweight. I have used mine outdoors many times down in Charleston and Knoxville, and we have kept cool.

  • They are durable and can handle many, many washings without loosing their shape. I have used mine to wipe up puke and random spills. It can handle being washed without shrinking.

  • It is soft. I am a sheet snob (ie I don't sleep on anything less than 100% Pima or Egyptian cotton, at least 300 TC), so I am very particular about fabrics. Some other covers are cotton/poly blends, so they are stiff and scratchy. I have used my Hooter Hider as a light blanket on my baby on numerous occasions.

  • The "rigid neckline" not only ventilates but makes it easy to keep eye contact with your little angel. Other covers flop over the baby, or the necklines are hard too stiff and uncomfortable.

  • The HH is pretty. The prints are so trendy and updated, it almost looks like an apron. When you are using it, its not obvious what you are doing under there. I have nursed in the middle of the mall without a second glance.
If you are looking for the perfect gift for a new mom, get one. If you are a breastfeeding mom without a cover, treat yourself. $35 may sound pricey, but consider how many times you will use it. It is your ticket to public breastfeeding. No more running to the car, no more looking for a nice bathroom with a seating area, no more stopping at Babies R Us just to use their Mother's room. Its freedom in a pretty print!!

No comments: