Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pregnancy Essentials

Its that time of year again. I know at least 5 people who are pregnant. Looking for a gift for your special pregnant friend? Here is my list of absolute pregnancy must-haves:

  1. Pregnancy Journal - Its nice to have some place to write things down and collect all those sonograms. I like The Pregnancy Journal: A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancythat tells you what is happening to that little bun in the oven. And it has places to record comments, how you feel, how the baby is doing, etc.

  2. Bella Band - The thing about maternity clothes is most women don't need them until they have really, really popped. This band will extend your current wardrobe until at least the 6 or 7th month. So much better than the old rubber band around the pant button trick. It also works well post-partum as you transition back to your normal clothes. Another great use is as a nursing band. It keeps you from feeling exposed if you are wearing a shirt you have to lift up when nursing.

  3. Preggie Pops - Most women have nausea for a several weeks, even the whole pregnancy. I couldn't stand regular lollipops (too sweet), but these come in interesting flavors that really stave off the gag factor.

  4. Tums - At least 4 bottles - one for home, office, your car, and your purse.

  5. Almonds - I tried everything to kill my hunger pangs, but I found a quick handful of raw, unsalted almonds worked best anytime. I usually downed a few right at bedtime so I wouldn't wake up starving.

  6. The Happiest Baby on the Block - You really won't have time to read all those baby books once he comes, so start reading now. This one has a tried and true method to get your baby settled and asleep. And don't be intimidated by the "swaddle." It is actually easier to swaddle a baby than practicing on a teddy bear.

  7. A great pair of maternity jeans - Just like when you are not pregnant, there is nothing like a great pair of jeans to make you look and feel great. And you don't need to spend a ton. I loved my Gap Long and Lean maternity jeans. They were under $60 and I wore them ALL THE TIME! I even wore them several weeks post-partum, so it is worth the investment. At the time of this post, they have several styles under $60.

  8. Baby Bargains - There is nothing more intimidating than Babies R Us for first time parents. This book helps narrow down what you need and what you don't need with ratings based on real mommy use. I also recommend sneaking a peak at your other preggie friends' registries.

  9. Pillows - You cannot have enough. A Pregnancy Wedge is great for supporting the belly, but you don't need to invest $100 for a wraparound body pillow you will never use. I simply gathered up all of our guest pillows and kept one under my feet, one between my knees, and one in front of me.

  10. Camera - Even if you think you have blown up to whale proportions, someday you will look back in awe that you carried that sweet little one in your body. Take lots of pictures, starting as early as you can. It will be fun for your child to look back. If you can afford it or have a friend who is savvy with a camera, take some artistic belly shots. They can range from silly to serious.

No comments: